Reasons To Buy and Sell
If you stop and think about it, there is not a single financial
institution in the country that has a perfect and permanent match of
assets and liabilities. Loan originations are going on the books,
payoffs are coming off. Deposits are coming in and going out.
For this reason, we believe that all institutions need to have the
capability of buying and selling loan assets in the secondary
You should consider selling assets if:
- your originations are strong,
- your loan-to-deposit ratio is high,
- you want to take some profits at quarter and/or year end,
- your nonperforming loan workout unit is overloaded, and/or
- the product mix in your portfolio needs to be rebalanced.
You should consider buying assets if:
- your originations are weak,
- your loan-to-deposit ratio is low,
- you want to put higher yielding assets on the books, and/or
- the geographic diversity of your assets needs to be broadened.
Regardless of the reason, a financial institution should always have
the capability of buying and selling assets in the secondary
market. And Quadrant Advisors, of course, is in the business of
helping financial institutions do just that.
"Getting Back to Basics in the Secondary Market"